Summer is the time when we have more skin exposed than any other time of the year. Which means, it's time to prep our skin for the warmer months ahead. Since I'm doing the cleanse this week (if you follow me on instagram you've seen some updates on this) my mind is on all of my favorite natural products. Not only that, but during a cleanse is the perfect time to really take care of your skin. You release a ton of toxins through the skin, might as well cleanse it as well! Above are my favorites and below are my notes on each.
1. Coconut Oil. I can't even put into words how important coconut oil has become to me. I've always used it for scrubs, cooked with it, added the butter to my smoothies, drank the milk-but lately, I find myself using it every. single. day. on my skin. After I've been out in the sun I coat my entire body in it, or apply a little on dry lips, use it to shave, use it on my face, take off my eye makeup, and use it on fresh scars. It has incredible healing properties. I even take it with me when I travel now.
2. Dr. Bronner's. Doesn't get more natural than this body wash. Lavender is my favorite. You can even use it when you're camping in the lake/creek, it's that natural.
3. Scrubs. I use my own scrubs to exfoliate before shaving, applying self tanner, etc. You can find the recipes here.
4. Aloe Vera Gel. The brand above in particular! I use it around my eyes now, and any place on my body where I think I've even got a tad bit of sun. It's also wonderful for cuts/scrapes. Years ago I only used it for burns, but now I realize there are so many other uses for it.
5. Jason Body gel. No parabens, very natural. I love the apricot. I use it when I need a switch from the Bronners. Lathers well, has a pump- which makes it so easy to use.
6. Skin Brush. Brushing your skin before a shower/bath works wonders. Always brush towards your heart. Some of the many benefits: reduces cellulite, removes dead skin, increases blood flow to the skin, stimulates the nervous system, improves the lymphatic system, unclogs pores...the list goes on. It's the best.
7. Thayer Cucumber Witch Hazel. Love the cucumber one. Best toner ever. Also can be used for: bags under the eyes, blemishes, bruises, bites...
8. Colostrum. Some people are going to be super weirded out by this one. If you've never heard of it, it is the first milk that a cow produces after she gives birth. Very potent stuff. I know it seems strange, but it works wonders. I had surgery a few months ago (went great) and I was worried about the scar. My best natural healing girl told me to use this on the incision. You break up a capsule and mix it with aloe vera gel, water, or even some raw honey. Apply the mixture to the incision and it truly helps the scarring. You can also use the mixture on blemishes, and as a mask on the face. Smells a little funky, but it's worth it...really worked well for me. Thankful my friend shared the information with me, which is why I wanted to share it with you all. I also used raw coconut oil with the colostrum treatment. Coconut oil in the a.m. and colostrum in the p.m.
Lastly, I know we all know this (I always need a reminder) but drinking a boat load of water, eating clean, taking a multivitamin, getting a wild workout on, and of course getting beauty sleep...all help our skin as well. If you have any favorite products/tips to share, please do :)