At the beginning of every year, I find myself taking care of the following tasks (seen below) and figured I'd share my list since there could be an item that triggers something you need to take care of as well ;)
1. Schedule all annual dental, medical, etc. appointments.
2. Check the fire alarms, carbon monoxide alarms, and any other emergency sensors in your home.
3. Confirm and go over your emergency plan. Living in San Francisco it's very important to have an earthquake emergency kit (this is the kit I own, I've added things to it- feminine products, playing cards, etc. and placed an old pair of tennis shoes near the back pack), place of where you'd meet in case it happened, and a clear plan of what you and your loved ones would do if an earthquake were to hit.
4. Clean out all expired beauty products from your bathroom and linen closet (even in the shower and your travel bag).
5. Same for medications, clear out all the expired and make a list of what you need to purchase.
6. Go through your spice rack, toss all expired spices and make a list for the next time you go to the store.
7. Go through all your condiments in the fridge, toss and then make your list.
8. Edit your wardrobe- donate or toss whatever you don't need.
9. Ensure all your documents are up to date (passport, license, etc.).
10. Also check to see if you've insured the items in your home that need to be insured. Engagement rings, wedding rings..etc.
11. Clean out your trunk. Ugh. This can be the worst chore if you haven't done it in a while. I use these bins to keep everything organized:
11. Add one small "healthy" item to your routine. Whether that's taking 5 minutes in the morning to stretch, get a quick walk in during the day, etc.
Anyway, this is what comes to my mind right now, but I may update this list over the next few weeks as I remember more items. And, please feel free to leave a list of "to-dos" you like to take care of at the beginning of the year as I'd love to hear them.